Sunday, April 21, 2013

Sunday Sentences: Alice Munro

Taking a page from Quivering Pen and Lynne's Book Notes, here are the best sentences I read this week. At the time, I was wondering how I could tweet them for fullest impact, but this is better:

From "Differently," published in Alice Munro's Friend of My Youth:

The bleak apartment in the run-down building, the bad-tempered old woman who was knitting a sweater, the doctor arriving in his shirtsleeves, carrying a brown-paper bag that Maya hysterically believed must contain the tools of his trade. In fact, it contained his lunch--an egg-and-onion sandwich. Maya had the smell of that in her face all the time he and Mme. Defarge were working her over.

No comments:

Post a Comment

October Book Haul

I bought these books today at the Tattered Cover - Aspen Grove. I'm about 3/4 done with Alias Grace from the kindle version and wanted ...